Digital platforms for energy efficiency, inventory of greenhouse gas emissions, preservation of nature and fight against climate change
Our research institute proudly offers an advanced service focusing on Digital Platforms for Energy Efficiency, Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory, Nature Preservation, and Climate Change Combat. This service capitalises on the revolution by integrating information technology and ICT in the energy and environment realm. We recognise the transformative power of concepts like «smart city», which bank on the seamless integration of data into municipal management frameworks, mirroring a region’s energy and environmental realities to address energy scarcity and climate change.
The torrent of information generated by these environments necessitates the development of standards, instruments, or platforms enabling interconnection among citizens, institutions, and businesses. The ITACA Institute concentrates its research on creating these platforms, standards, and methodologies to facilitate the acquisition, description, and transmission of information among various energy system stakeholders at both local and supra-municipal levels.
Leveraging technologies such as the Internet of Things, Big Data, Ontologies, Sensor Networks, and intelligent agents, we develop tools that amplify management efficacy, increase transparency, and foster citizen participation in environmental management processes. One binding domain where the availability of voluminous real-time information is vastly beneficial is emissions characterisation, otherwise known as emissions inventory. One of our innovations entails the digitisation of emissions inventories, substituting efficient real-time systems for traditional protocols supporting greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions evaluation, thus streamlining the process significantly.
- Smart City Initiatives: Our service can help create smarter, more sustainable cities that are energy efficient and actively combat climate change.
- Environmental Management: Enhance transparency and efficiency in managing environmental resources while increasing citizen participation.
- GHG Emissions Monitoring: Real-time tracking and management of GHG emissions at local and supra-municipal levels.
- Energy Efficiency Planning: Assist municipalities, businesses, and institutions in developing and implementing energy efficiency strategies.
- Policy Development: Inform policy-making with real-time data, enabling swift response to emerging environmental challenges.
- Climate Change Research: Facilitate research by providing extensive, up-to-date data on energy usage and GHG emissions.
- Public Awareness: Increase public understanding and involvement in climate change issues.
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Initiatives: Enable businesses to monitor and manage their environmental impact in real-time.
- Urban Planning: Provide data and insights for sustainable urban development and planning.
- Disaster Management: Aid in predicting and responding to climate-related disasters.
Javier Urchueguía Schölzel
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería Industrial – Universitat Politècnica de Valencia
Camino de Vera, s/n. Edificio 5D
46022 Valencia (Spain)
Phone +34 96 387 70 00 (Extension: 85246)